Sunday, August 14, 2011

Attention Race Fans

I'm sure that you've all been eagerly awaiting this day. Many race directors and sponsors have been up nights fretting and wondering when they'd get to hear this announcement. The media has been anxiously awaiting their opportunity. So without any further ado, I announce...

Thank you all for coming today...
my racing schedule for Fall 2011-Spring 2012. (holds for applause) I want (more applause) please...I only have the room rented for an hour folks.

First up: The Spring Water Festival 5K in Williamston SC. As some of you may recall, this was my first race ever in 2009. I enjoyed the experience so much again last year that I wanted to make this an annual event. The race director works hard to put together a great event, and he always has lots of great door prizes, raffles, etc. It is a race with a great hometown feel, and it feels like I'm somehow going back to my roots...after all, it is where "the bug" first bit me.

Two weeks later I will be running my first trail half-marathon. Avid readers of this blog will know that my last trail race was...a fun...an exciting....a great experience..a gut-jostling, knee-shredding, terrible way to spend an hour. This time the 13.1 miles will cover only 26 ft of incline. I rise 26 feet just to go get coffee...this I can do. The race is called the Francis Marion Dirt Dash in Awendaw, SC.(Ok I live here and I don't know where Awendaw is...I had to look it up) The run is near Charleston through the Francis Marion National Forest. What's even more exciting is that my wife and I have two dear friends running it with us, and it will be their FIRST half-marathon. I sincerely hope that they return as our friends once we're done. I think this will be a nice tune up for the Marine Corps Marathon.

Not sure if I've mentioned it here on the blog, but my "keystone" race of the year is the 36th Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC. I think due to the amount of coverage I've already given it..that's all I'll say about it for now.

I'm giving myself November off (for now) to recover...but don't be surprised if a Turkey Trot shows up on an impulse.

In December I'll be running the Paris Mountain 20K...yes the SAME Paris Mountain that nearly killed me over Memorial Day weekend. However, I'll be running the Road Race variety. Its only 12 miles up and down of the same mountain...only on roads....awesome. I've never run a 20K race before, so I'll be looking forward to an automatic PR.

In January my target race of choice is the Charleston Marathon. Yes marathon. My goal is to stay in race shape through the turkey and stuffing and cakes and pies and whatever else the holidays bring and still run a January marathon. Anybody else craving Eggnog already?

February brings the Green Valley 10-miler. This is the race that triggered my IT Band and I wound up walking four of the 10 miles of the race. Quite a humbling experience. Although I did find out that runners are genuinely interested in helping someone who is limping midways through a race. I return in 2012 to tame the beast.

And finally March brings us to the Columbia "Famously Hot" Half Marathon in Columbia. It had better not be famously hot on race morning.

April? May? Well lets just see what happens. I'll open up for questions.



A couple of things of note...

1) I'm a week behind in my marathon plan. I screwed up somewhere along the lines. So instead of being on week 11, I just completed week 12. Apparently Pfitzinger counts like a computer programmer (from zero) and not like a normal American (from one). When I complete Week 1...the marathon should be at the end. When Pfitzinger completes Week 1, he begins "race week". I'm gonna have to skip a week somewhere here in the next 77 days. I did however complete 35.5 miles this week

2) I feel like a "real" blogger now. I participated in a twitter competition with CEP Compression last week and I was one of the winners. I contacted them and in addition to my prize they'll also be sending me a "package" to review. MY FIRST REVIEW PEOPLE! NOT TO MENTION FREE STUFF. This is perhaps the biggest day in a bloger's life, right? Well except for when you have a giveaway and you start getting tons of followers for the free swag...maybe I'll have something to give away. Stay tuned.


That's all for now folks. Pfitz is calling for 50 miles this week. Hopefully I'll live through it, and I'll see you on the blog again soon.

Press conference image courtesy gawker.com

4 comments:

Adam said...

Oh crap, I'm going to have to go back and make sure I'm on the right week w/ pfitz!!

Looks like a solid race plan!

Tiana said...

Randy- kudos for signing up for another trail race! Oh I am soooo jealous, were it not for my nagging and disastrous injury I'd be there too. Good luck and have fun! Also, contrats on winning the blogger prize. You deserve it, you are a great blogger.

Randy said...

Hi Tiana, yeah given the terrain in the low country and the lack of incline, i thought it might be a good opportunity to test some fitness. And I'm still waiting on CEP to send that box. Now I'm just thinking I've been had. :0

Christy said...

It's nice to put words and descriptions with the infamous race schedule on the white board! And I LOVED the cricket!