Thursday, May 26, 2011

Some things in life, I just don't understand.

Last year as you may know by now, I ran the Thunder Road Marathon. It was a great time, and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the southeast. I thought there was plenty of crowd support as well as entertainment on the course to keep any runner occupied for a few hours. Plus, you really get to see a lot of the Queen City.

So it was with that background that when I happened upon the advertisement for the 2011 running of the Thunder Road Marathon in Runners World, I took notice. Here is the advertisement...

I must have read this about a dozen times trying to figure it out and process exactly what this ad was saying. I know that we as runners can be pretty transparent about the bodily functions that happen to us on a race course, but I must say that not one time did I see any runner urinating on him/herself while running the marathon (maybe the elites?). In the spirit of the advertisement I've come up with a few additional tag lines that Charlotte may want to try out...

  • 26 million Americans suffer with incontinence..run Thunder Road to raise your awareness of this disorder.
  • Charlotte is expecting a drought this summer, so in order to make up the difference in rainfall, please feel free to water any plant life along the marathon route.
  • To save money on race fees, Charlotte has decided not to purchase port-a-potties for the course this year.
  • "How fast are you going to run Thunder Road this year?"  "Depends."
Wocka wocka wocka! I'll be here all week folks!

I actually contacted the fine folks at Thunder Road to inquire about the campaign, and they commented that they were just trying a new angle this year. That's fine, but I'm not sure how the uninitiated marathoner or new runner will receive such an advertisement. Before my first marathon I was worried about NOT peeing myself, (among other things). I hope its taken well....and I also hope that the Queen City doesn't smell like urine on November 13th 2011.

If you've got a creative pee-pee line for Charlotte...lemme hear it!

No comments: