Saturday, May 7, 2011

Leaving a Legacy

For those of you who have now become accustomed to my normal shenanigans, I want to warn you that this might be the most serious post you read here. Well...at least until....I dunno maybe next Mother's Day.

Many of you I've known for most of the time that I've run. For those of you who don't, I'd like to take a little slice of the blog this weekend, and tell you about my mom.

Our family's lives were changed in June of 2007, when Mom was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor, called Glioblastoma Multiforme or GBM for short. It is quite possibly one of the ugliest words and it is an even uglier disease. Mom valiantly fought the tumor for 32 months, in spite of being initially given about 18 months to live, and sadly, she passed two days prior to her 64th birthday on December 18th, 2009.

Although cancer overshadowed her life for the last 3 years of her life, it didn't define her, but like the refiner's fire it only brought out the best and most inspirational parts of her. Mom had always been a bit of a rebel, or a free-spirit...a 70's hippie if you will. Anything anybody else could do, she could too, and better. She could be very stubborn (no clue where I get it from) and driven when she had something in her mind to do. Cancer tried to kill all that, but it could not. It could not hide the beauty and strength that this woman had inside her. She simply would not quit, she would not give up, she would not stop fighting. That was how she lived her whole life, and cancer only made it more evident to everyone around her. She instilled in me a belief that I could do ANYTHING I put my mind to (if I would only apply myself). And you know what? She was right. Her legacy of stubborn resistance to letting anything beat her lives on in me. When I feel like quitting, I can hear her saying "C'mon Randy, you can do it!" as I heard so much as a kid.


I think of what a legacy she has left on me, and what an impression her attitude towards any obstacle has made on my life. Now that I'm a parent I can now see another very special person leaving the same kinds of impressions on three special kids...my wife Christy.

Everyone who meets my wife inevitably says something to the effect of "I don't know how you do it all." She literally has something going on all the time; raising and schooling three children, volunteering as a Guardian Ad Litem, helping out with our homeschool co-op group, plus working out, swimming practice, gymnastics, field trips, plus keeping up with a 38 year old adolescent...heck I don't know how she gets it all done. She'd say that she doesn't have it all together, or she doesn't do a very good job most of the time, but when its all said and done I think our kids are going to look back and remember what an amazing treasure she is. All jobs have good days and bad days, and sometimes parenting can really beat you up, but when I see her with our kids, I can see that she is living her passion...she was put here on earth to be a Mom.


Every time my wife goes for a run, the moment she walks in the door, our 3 year old son will ask "Mommy ye, yun?" (Translation: Mother, did you go for a run this fine morning?) I think about how just the mundane things of life can leave an indelible impression on our children. He may not understand now why we run, but the seeds are planted so that one day he'll look back and see all the beautiful facets of his mother and reflect fondly on how she never gave up, she kept putting in the miles day after day, and kept striving to be better. 

Quite strange that these three things that are so crucial to marathon running, seem to be the same aspects of being a good parent.

Happy Mother's Day to my wife Christy, and all of the moms out there who won't give up, keep putting in the time every day, and keep striving to be a better mom!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a really beautiful post!

Kesha said...

Such a nice tribute to your mom and Christy too. You and the kids are lucky to have her! And, aww gosh, now you're motivating me with motherhood! You are quite the cheerleader Mr. Coffee.

Christy said...

He is quite the cheerleader isn't he?! Just like his mom. :-) I love you, babe!