Sunday, May 15, 2011

Impulse Racing

In my last post I wrote a bit about motivation, and how that I believe that racing frequently keeps me motivated. So far this year I have raced three times:

January-Greenville News Downtown 5K (planned)
February-Green Valley Road Race 10K (planned)
April-Leftovers Prediction Trail Run 5K (impulse)

Until yesterday I only had three more planned races for 2011 on my schedule:

August-Spring Water Festival 5K
October-Marine Corps Marathon
December-Paris Mountain Road Race 20K

I'm sure I'll probably race another impulse race here or there. I wouldn't mind a half marathon sometime in late September to test my fitness before the Marine Corps, but those can be hard to come by in the South due to the heat. (let me know in the comments if you know of one)

After a particularly frustrating day in the office on Friday, I felt like I needed to do something, (ever had one of those days?)  so I bit the bullet and decided to run a trail race that I have been considering for a few months. The race is the Paris Mountain 11K on May 28th. Now if you'll recall my blog from the Prediction Run last month, I have never run on trails at all.

Here is the description of the run from the brochure:

This is an adventurous trail race as it includes the long climb to the top of the mountain.

Hmm..sounds fun for my first real trail run, right? How's that for motivation? Here is the only elevation profile I've been able to find online for the course... (blue line)

YIKES
Elevation profile courtesy of the Carolina Runner
I'd be lying if I told you that after looking at this elevation profile, I wasn't having second thoughts. But just think, all those thoughts become adrenaline, which becomes fuel to trudge up the side of a mountain! Am I right? At least that's what I'm telling myself. This race will be good motivation to get in some hill work and strengthen my legs over the next couple of weeks, and who knows, maybe one day I might will run a trail marathon.

Do you have any races on your schedule that make you nervous? Are you pushing yourself to do new things? 

6 comments:

OtterPop said...

Do NOT sweat the Paris Mtn trails. While they are pretty much a steady climb from the bottom (especially if Sulphur Springs is involved) and a couple of them involve some rocky areas/technical stuff, I just know you will love the trail race! I am not sure what the actual course map is (like, which trail they start with and end with), but that elevation profile, while it is accurate, is not as intimidating as it looks. If *I* am not scared to run those trails, you, the man who runs sub-8s and fearlessly tries things like this can certainly do it. Excited to see how it goes and what your take on it is!

And you're making ME want to sign up for a trail race now. I just need to find a shorter one! :)

Randy said...

Hi Jessica, thanks for the reassurance. I think we are on the Sulphur Springs going up the mountain. You should register for one...the guy at the Leftovers run told me that they were planning a series of runs out at the nature park through the summer. Plus the 7K is coming up at Paris mountain in August (I'd imagine that's pretty warm though).

David H. said...

I'm not sure how far you'd want to travel, but there's a half marathon in Lynchburg, Va., in August, and I believe there's also one in Richmond in late August as well.

Randy said...

Thanks David...I'll check those out.

Tiana said...

Randy, you'll love this race, its great. I'll be there too! I warn you, its got some gnarly hills so if you can get out and run the course once that would be good. I can show you the route if you'd like.

Good luck!

Randy said...

Hi Tiana, I look forward to seeing you out there! I don't think I'll be able to get over there before the race...so I'll have to be surprised! Thanks for the offer though. I can't wait.