Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cheatin'

As a runner have you ever went on a bike ride and felt like you were somehow "cheatin' on running"?

No? Anyone? So just me then? Oh boy...

As I've mentioned on this blog before, I am NOT a cyclist. I don't have any fancy skin tight shirts that are eye-bleeding yellow, or any of those shorts with the cushion in the butt, or those shoes that lock in and make you fall over and skin your knees and elbows. When I go, I dress exactly like I would when I run. On Monday night I decided to go for a bike ride on the Swamp Rabbit Trail while my son was at swim team practice. I've done this before, but a strange thought process went through my head as I was getting ready to leave the house.

Perhaps its from watching too many Disney movies with my kids...one of the most recent is Beauty and the Beast, where all the household inanimate objects take on a personality. I imagined that my clothes and my shoes took on the attributes of puppies getting ready to go out for a walk. If you've ever had a dog, you know that this is the greatest point in their day, except for possibly the first thirty seconds you walk in the door. Dogs just can't contain themselves...and they start doing that weird dance at the door while you're trying to put the leash on them. So I imagined my clothes doing the same thing,  getting so excited..."we get to go outside! We get to go for a run today!"  They were so excited to get out on a lovely Monday evening (not usually a day they ever get to go run, as I'm a Tues/Thurs/Saturday kinda guy)

Can you imagine their disappointment when I get the bike out and start rolling down the trail? The shoes saying "so this is it then...I'm not even doing anything.." my shirt asking, "are you ever going to even work up a sweat? How can I wick any moisture with all this wind doing my job?!?!" My poor visor didn't even get to go. It had to stay in the car the whole time.

On the other hand..my bike helmet thought it was Christmas...so I guess it all evens out.

I am certifiably insane aren't I? Blogging is cheaper than therapy I suppose. You people listen for free.

Anyway, I wrapped up another good week of training last week. Including the race, I hit just shy of 24 miles for the week. My goal is to keep building to around 30-35, and let that be my base for this year's marathon training in the fall. Just as a comparison, last year my highest week ever was 35 miles, and at the end of the marathon I regretted that I didn't feel like I was as strong as I could have been. I'll keep running with my group on Saturdays, as each of them have been to Boston. Who knows, maybe they can get me there too. (maybe like a Big Brother/Big Sister program for speed-challenged thirty-somethings...it could happen). I haven't decided on a marathon program for this year, but that is probably another post for another day.

As always...thanks for stopping by my little corner of insanity, and be sure to tell your friends.

1 comment:

OtterPop said...

It's not cheating on running... it's giving your legs a total, blindsided surprise that makes your running a little happier. :) Nice job on the ride, and also -- keep doing it!