Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Super Bowl Week!

Wait...am I even allowed to say that? "The Big Game" Week just doesn't have the same ring.

Tell you what..if the NFL ever catches wind of this blog, and sends me a cease and desist for using the words Super and Bowl, I'll change it. Then frame the letter...because I'm so happy that someone outside of my circle of Twitter or DailyMile friends has sent this around. It really is the little things in life....

Anyway...what am I talking about anyway? For those of you who are new to our sport, next Monday April 18th is the 115th running of the Boston Marathon. The Boston Marathon is the longest running, most prestigious marathon in the world. Only the best of the best (except for the charity runners) get to participate in the Boston Marathon due to its rigorous qualification process.


Shortly after I first started running, I watched "Spirit of the Marathon" (which you should do), I started thinking about Boston.  After a few 5K's, my pace dipped below 7:30 a mile, and I thought "Hey, I can run 7:15 a mile, I bet I can do Boston".

Then I did a 5 mile race..
...and a 10K...
...and a 10 mile training run...
...and half marathon...
...and eventually a full marathon...

I learned that 5K speed in my case didn't translate into marathon speed. (My marathon speed was 9:00 per mile FYI). My 3:56 was FAR away from the 3:15 I would have needed to qualify.

Now knowing just how difficult it is to maintain a 7:15 pace for TWENTY-SIX MILES THREE HUNDRED EIGHTY FIVE YARDS, I am absolutely in awe of anyone who can qualify for Boston. Nevertheless, I can continue to dream and aspire, and maybe one day my age and pace will catch up to Boston's qualifying times.

So in this spirit of the big game...I'm taking time off on Monday, April 18th and will be "live-blogging" the race right here with my usual wit and sarcasm. I'm also happy to take your questions through the race. Which means I'll probably be sitting here giddy as a schoolgirl for 2 1/2 hours making comments that I find hilarious, while my wife gives a polite chuckle.

This will be the best chance the USA has had to win in either the men's or women's field in a VERY long time, so it should be a very exciting race.

Be sure to be here on Monday morning at 8:30 AM ET. I'll get things started and be sure to tell your friends. Wait, don't just tell your friends...tell your enemies too, reading this blog for 2.5 hours might be good revenge.

5 comments:

Kesha said...

Too bad you couldn't find a reason for a 'meeting' at 711 Atlantic next week! I'll be on vaca w/ the fam that day, but hoping to catch some coverage some how.

I'd say you have a qualifying run in you one day!

Randy said...

Thanks Kesha...yeah I guess it wasn't in the cards this year to get up there. I'll probably have a better view from the computer anyway haha.

I just hope that qualifying run is sometime before I'm 80!

meredithlevin said...

Kesha - I was thinking the same thing! Wish you were all here to go watch the race. It is really amazing to watch from the sidelines. I'm just glad that I get to watch Randy's commentary too.

Randy - You will be tweeting, right?

Tiana said...

Randy,
That's exciting! Have fun!! *jealous*

David H. said...

Looking forward to seeing your posts. Thanks for leaving the comment on my blog - I've now added you to my Google Reader. Looking forward to reading your old posts and everything else from here until the world ends.