Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Break 2011

Spring Break...yeaah buddy....We all know what that means! Woohoo!

Going to the beach, sunshine, coeds in bikinis, parties, every type and shape of debauchery known to man...that's what you're thinking right?

I am disgusted with you people for thinking that. Of course that's NOT what I meant. We're trying to run a family show here!

I mean the school near my house is out for Spring Break. I can run more freely knowing that I'm not about to be roadkill at the hands of a reckless 16 year old driving mom's 8,000 pound death tank SUV while "bouncin" to the Fresh Prince. (or whatever the kids are listening to these days...Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff are still kickin' right?)


Anyway...without the kids in school, my route is so much more peaceful. You can hear birds singing, the pitter-patter of your own feet and the temperatures are nearly perfect for running. Today was about 45 degrees with full sun. It seems that you can really get some thinking done with conditions like that. That is, until you run through a wooded area. Now that you can hear everything so acutely, every rustle of every leaf in the woods sounds like a ferocious bear or pack of hyenas are about to jump out and attack. Yes...wild packs of rabid hyenas could roam the woods right here in South Carolina...it could happen. I've seen the Lion King about a hundred times. Trust me on this.

Be prepared..
I was able to get in 5 miles today, making it 10 for the week so far. I hope to be able to get in 20 total for the week for the first time in a while. My goal is to sustain a 20-25 mile per week base for the remainder of the year. 20-25 miles per week puts me at a good level to start any marathon training program and I've got about 3 months before I start training for the Marine Corps Marathon in October. I've been slowly coming back from an injury since February, so getting back to 20-30 miles per week puts me in the mileage range I was in before the marathon last December. That really feels good to know I'm almost there and now I can keep building for the fall.

So, get out and enjoy Spring Break..the flowers...the peace...the freedom on the roads...but seriously, be on the lookout for the hyenas.

4 comments:

OtterPop said...

The "kids" are listening to a jerk named Lil' Wayne, among other "musicians." (Seeing a theme with the air quotes here?) I only wish they were still listening to the likes of DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince. :) Happy running this week! -- Jess

OtterPop said...

Also: how did you get the DM sidebar thingie? I've tried to copy/paste the HTML that DM gives you (when you click on "add this gadget") but I can't get it on my blog. It keeps saying, "URL contains illegal characters."

Randy said...

Jess, while I was logged into my blogspot account, I logged on to daily mile http://www.dailymile.com/widgets then just clicked on "add to blogger" and voila! it worked. I promise if it were any more complicated than that, I don't think it would be there. haha

Heck I don't even know if this is how you really reply to people on blogs :)

OtterPop said...

I think this is the only way to reply... maybe? LOL. Thanks for the info -- hadn't tried it that way yet. Lemme see if I can get it to work (nothing is ever idiot-proof when it comes to me trying to do it :) ).