Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Not another running blog....

I know what you're thinking.  You can't sprint 50 meters on the internet without finding some jacked up runner telling you how he/she is exercising these days.  Why not one more?

Well, let me tell you why not.  Because I've never written one.  I guess you could say that I'm unique, just like everybody else.  Wait...that came out wrong.  Let's try this....Like a delicate snowflake lazily falling on a cold wintry day, subtly different than any other running blog you've ever read.......wait, did I seriously just compare myself to a snowflake?  Ok scratch that one too.

Let me put it this way...on no other blog will you get ME.  Take that for what its worth.  You get my all my humor, all my inspiration, all my random musings about life and all my cliched advice...all for the low, low price of FREE.  Since you're all new here and may not know...much of the above was meant to be funny.  It's ok to laugh.  In fact, if you don't laugh, I'm doing this wrong...terribly wrong.  If you're laughing *at* me, I suppose that's ok too but then I'm not getting the joke in that case....hmmm....lets move on...

Why Coffee...on the Run? 

Well my last name is Coffee (yes really...yes, really spelled the exact same way...and yes people have made jokes about it my whole life...and yes I've heard them all.  I might as well embrace it, right?)  I'm 38, married and a father of three, juggling life and limitless running goals.  But it's not always been this way....

I ran in high school track for one year. It wasn't necessarily out of passion for running, but I heard that if you went to all of the practices during the season, the coach would automatically give you a  varsity letter.  So I had my varsity letter in 9th grade.  Unfortunately in my case, my plan did not work out like most 80's teen movies.  Apparently the girls at my school COULD resist a guy in a Letterman's jacket. Go figure.

I came back to running in mid-2009.  My doctor advised that I needed to get active or go on blood pressure medicine.  So I began walking every day in June of that year.  Walking quickly became a bit boring, so I began picking up the pace and running/walking.  Running/walking gave way soon to running only.  I completed 3 miles running for the first time in over 20 years in August 09 and signed up for the Williamston Spring Water Festival 5K to be held a week later.  I finished in 30:19 but fell in LOVE with racing that day.  I loved the crowd support and the total experience, and I've not been the same since.

Over the past 20 months I have been transformed from a couch potato to a running fanatic. I've completed dozens of races of all different types, the biggest was the Thunder Road Marathon in December 2010.
This is what marathonning looks like. Do not attempt.
I have been inspired by so many, that I'd like to give back to those around me, and make new friends along the way. So stay tuned friends, I hope we can laugh together, laugh together, cry together, laugh together and be inspired together.  Check out my tips, gear and quotes pages, and watch for more running-themed nonsense from me.  I welcome your compliments comments and praise feedback.








6 comments:

Scott said...

Welcome to blogging! Looking forward to reading what you have to say.

staceyhedman said...

So glad you took the jump, and can't wait to follow along! Your accomplishments have been amazing!

Kesha said...

Oh boy, this should be fun! Love it!

Tiana said...

Hey you should have told me you were a blogger too! If you don't mind can I put a link to your blog up on mine?

Keep up the good work!

Life on the Run
www.raceforourlives.com

Randy said...

Hi Tiana..YES by all means please put a link up. I don't have the foggiest idea of what I'm doing just yet. I only started last week & I wasn't sure if you saw on DM or not. Thanks for the compliment!

Tiana said...

Thanks, I put a link to your blog on my site!